LVC Alumni Serve on Fulbright Panel

Source: Unsplash by Z

Ariana Genna ’23, staff writer

LVC Fulbright Alumni returned to campus to serve on a Global Conversation Hour panel.  

To kick off LVC’s 2022 Homecoming, five LVC alumni returned to campus to talk with students and faculty about their experiences as Fulbright recipients. The United States Fulbright award offers participants the opportunity to pursue graduate study, conduct research, or teach English abroad for at least a year.  

The panel included Megan Long ‘17, who taught English in Bulgaria, Dr. Matthew Vera ’90, who conducted research in Germany, and Kristy Sonberg ‘18, a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant in Korea. Additionally, Dr. Michael Gross ’82, who received an ITT International Fellow award, attended as well as Patrick Maxwell ’17, LVC’s first Pickering Scholarship recipient. Director of External Scholarships & Fellowships, Dr. Philip Benesch, ran most of the session, directing questions from audience members to each of the alumni.  

Also in the audience were current Fulbright applicants, one of which was Trevor Hamilton, who is applying to be an English Teaching Assistant in Macedonia.  

“I’ve been looking for ways to broaden my understanding of the world outside of my cultural sphere, and a Fulbright would allow me to do that while aiding my capacity to work in government and foreign policy,” Hamilton, senior political science and global affairs major, said.  

The Fulbright alumni were not only able to teach students interested in the scholarship opportunity, but also helped to give advice and guidance to current Fulbright applicants. Trevor Hamilton asked the alumni about what to do in the stressful period between submitting the Fulbright application and waiting to hear the commission’s decision.  

“I’m a bit of a worrier so being reminded that it’s out of my hands now and I’ve done all I can to submit a strong application was surprisingly calming,” Hamilton said.  

The Fulbright opportunity is open to students of all disciplines, and students should feel encouraged to apply.  

“I think everyone should study abroad at some point, whether that be during undergrad or afterward,” Hamilton said. “No employer or graduate school is going to look at time spent on a Fulbright as wasted. You’ll be more competitive in any field and gain invaluable experience.” 

Students interested in learning more about the Fulbright opportunity or any other scholarships should contact Dr. Philip Benesch at benesch@lvc.edu.