Senior attends national chemistry conference in New Orleans

Photo credit: Nicole Gross

By Justin Kopp ’25, staff writer 

A group of students and professors flew to New Orleans, Louisiana to present their research at the American Chemical Society (ACS) Spring Conference. 

Three students were accompanied by two professors on the trip from March 17-21. Jacquelyn McBride, a senior ACS chemistry and English dual major, was among the group, and she was eager to get the most out of her first trip to a national conference. 

“I wanted to see New Orleans for sure, but I also wanted to go to a national conference before I graduate,” McBride said. “It ended up being a great way to present my ideas and make new connections.” 

McBride’s research focused on upcycling food waste to create bioplastics and edible food coverings. She chose orange and lemon peels to combine with heat until the result became gelatinous, and then she let it sit until it became a film. 

“I wanted to look at two global issues: reducing plastic use and food insecurity,” McBride said. “Bioplastics are more sustainable and safer to use, and they’re cheaper too so they’re more accessible.” 

Between presentations and career fair exhibitions, McBride was also able to explore the city and famous areas like Bourbon St. 

“I was definitely looking forward to trying some beignets,” McBride said. “They were delightful, and so were a lot of the delicious Cajun and Creole foods.” 

The conference’s theme this year was “Many Flavors of Chemistry,” and it kicked off with a Mardi Gras-style parade through the convention center. 

“Throwing beads and playing jazz was a great way to hype people up for the conference,” McBride said. 

McBride will continue testing her bioplastics until she graduates in May, and she will begin working at Eurofins in July as an associate scientist in raw materials.