You can always find your way back home

By Meredith Haas ’24, editor

Home is where the heart is, right?

For many students, leaving the home they’ve always known and embracing the change that comes along with going to college can be scary. For other students, the chance to leave home is one of the most exciting things. Where does that leave the rest of us, those who are thrilled for new experiences but love nothing more than the comfort of our own homes?

One of the reasons I chose to attend LVC is because I liked its proximity to my house: 45 minutes, 40 if you drive slightly over the speed limit. This number, just shy of an hour, was the perfect distance for me, and I justify that with the same line time and time again. It’s close enough that I can go home every once in a while for dinner and my parents can attend my sporting events, yet I won’t bump into them at the local Walmart.

With this proximity in mind, I am perfectly willing to admit that I take advantage of living such a short distance away from home, and I can hop in my car at my convenience. Even if it’s just to go see my dogs when I’m feeling bored or avoiding what’s being served on that night’s dinner menu, I feel that for me, it’s worthwhile. You shouldn’t have to feel like you need a huge reason to take the occasional – or not so occasional – trip home.

“Ugh, you’re going home again?” is a phrase that some of us have probably heard our friends say. Or maybe not. While it may be said in a joking tone, it probably seems to them like I’m going home too much, when I question if I’m spending enough time with my family. I can’t help but wonder if the students who choose to never go home outside of breaks, judge those who do.

I think it’s important that everyone remembers that students are looking to get different things out of their college experience. For some, going as far away as possible is what’s desired, knowing that they can’t just go home at the drop of a hat. For others, it’s wanting to be so close that you could walk home from campus. Regardless, we shouldn’t judge students for whatever decision they make, because it is no one else’s business.

Going home is nothing to feel ashamed about if that is what you need physically, mentally, academically or socially. Going home “just because” is a perfectly valid reason. If you won’t take my word for it, have a listen to Hannah Montana’s “You Can Always Find Your Way Back Home.”

Ultimately, for me as a junior in college, I continue to try to find the balance of being present in my college experience and spending as much time on campus as possible, while also making sure I spend enough time with my family while I have the chance. One day, I’ll be moved out and on my own, and going ‘home’ won’t ever feel the same.

So, while I’m sitting at home on the occasional weekend, plopped down on my couch, having slight FOMO when it comes to campus activities, I know that I will never look back and regret the time I spent with my family. Missing a few Saturday nights in Annville surely won’t kill me.