Librarian shares passion for hiking

By Kayleigh Johnson, ’22, editor 

LVC reference librarian Donna Miller is ensuring students have an opportunity to experience everything the great outdoors have to offer. 

Miller has created a display on hiking and backpacking for the Vernon & Doris Bishop Library for several years. It made its comeback this year as a fun resource for students to find information about outdoor activities in the surrounding areas. 

“I bring in some of my own gear and try to feature hikes that I personally have done and know offer a great experience,” Miller said. “The pieces of nature are ones that I have picked up on hikes, and a lot of the landscape pictures come from my daughter, a park ranger with a passion for photography.” 

Students can pick up brochures with maps and guides on several hikes in the region. Although not local, Miller highly recommends Old Rag Mountain in Shenandoah National Park. The hike is, in her words, “gnarly but absolutely beautiful.” It features boulder climbing and gorgeous scenery before opening up to a valley view. 

“I really have a ball putting this display together,” Miller said. “I initially did it because the library is always looking for ideas for displays and I wanted to share my love of hiking, and now it’s a fun project for me to undertake!” 

The display will remain up through the end of October. While in the library, check out the other displays on LGBTQ+ history month, new/trending books and mental health.  

Stay tuned in November for another of Miller’s displays—this one raising awareness for diabetes in honor of National Diabetes Month. The display will be located on the counter by the circulation desk and feature diabetes gear and resources on its prevention, treatment and more.