From captain to coach

Photo credit to GoDutchmen.com

By Bailey Dills ’22, staff writer

The LVC men’s lacrosse team has gained a veteran player as a volunteer assistant coach. 

Evan Crawford, a 2021 graduate and former lacrosse captain, has stepped up to culture the growth and development of the team. His charisma, resolve and expertise will prove beneficial to all those playing under him. 

Hanging up the helmet last spring was not an easy task for Crawford, being that “athletic” is the first, second and third way to describe him. Despite accepting a job at Lebanon High School this fall, he knew coaching had to be within the equation. 

When prompted, Crawford said, “I’m living out a childhood dream of mine. In sixth grade, we had to dress up as our future selves, so I wore a whistle and brought my clipboard.”

This is the sort of dedication that has led Crawford to widespread success, on and off the field. With the ultimate goal of becoming a head coach, he is beginning to forge this pathway for himself. 

Somehow, he manages to keep all his affairs in order.

“Many days, between teaching biology, coaching and continuing to stay in shape myself, I end up getting home well past dark, but while it can be stressful, I also know that I am working hard at work worth doing,” Crawford said. 

The term “overwhelmed” does not seem to be in his vocabulary. Like stated before, this is a lifelong dream. Crawford even wrote a 1,600-word thesis on his coaching philosophy before attaining the position. He is determined to achieve his goals, to say the least. 

“He [Crawford] always brings positivity to practice,” Brendan Kernan, a current LVC lacrosse player, said.

The coaching staff is ready to lead the team into a successful season this spring. Coach Crawford will be making his debut on the sideline.