Sorority to celebrate anniversary on campus

By: Cassi Barrett, Staff writer

The sorority Phi Sigma Sigma will celebrate its 20th anniversary on campus this week.

The Theta Tau chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma was founded on November 23, 1996. The sorority locally supports the Ronald McDonald House in Hershey by collecting thousands of can tabs each year to donate to the organization. Phi Sigma Sigma also recently participated in a book drive which promoted literacy in the local area and benefited the students of nearby elementary schools.

In addition to their philanthropic efforts, the sorority also fosters communal interaction on campus by hosting various socials and events for the students.

There are currently 18 young women in Phi Sigma Sigma at LVC. Although they represent various states around the country, different majors and different hobbies and interests their love of sisterhood and community brings them together.

Junior Alyssa Misiewicz, an early childhood education and special education dual major, is grateful for the sorority and the bonds she has made with the sisters.

“Phi Sigma Sigma is a safe place for me,” Misiewicz said. “The women in this sorority have pushed me to be the best possible version of myself and I wouldn’t trade any of them for the world.”

Jess Kellstrom, a sophomore digital communications major, echoes Misiewicz’s love for her sisters and feels that she found a sense of belonging within the sorority.

“I went to a Phi Sigma Sigma social and met the exact people I was hoping to meet in college,” Kellstrom said. “Everyone had a great sense of humor and they were so welcoming and sweet. Now they are some of my best friends and I wouldn’t trade them for the world.”

While the sorority seeks to actively support its community as well as to create meaningful social interactions on campus, the sisters also benefit from the leadership positions available to them within the organization as well as from the unbreakable bonds that they form with their fellow sisters.

“Joining a sorority has given me more confidence in everything I do,” Hayley Cobb, a junior sociology major, said. “I was even lucky enough to have an important leadership role that I love so much. They are the most supportive sisters in the world and I know they will be there for me every step of my way even after I leave LVC.”

The sisters of Phi Sigma Sigma recently welcomed two young women into the sorority and are looking forward to the possibility of welcoming even more come spring.