Valley Ambassadors: Tour guides and mentors

By Justin Kopp ’25, staff writer

LVC has consistently broken admissions records with each new class, and the vigor of the school’s Valley Ambassadors gives prospective students a strong impression of the campus.

Employed by the admissions office, Valley Ambassadors put together outgoing mail for prospective and admitted students, help with running admissions day events and take families on tours of the campus.

Senior Jacquelyn McBride is in her third year of serving as a Valley Ambassador. She sees tours as the most important part of her job since it is the main time for her to differentiate LVC from competing schools.

“We have things we make sure to hit on at different parts of campus,” McBride said. “We talk about places like the Breen Center, the Center for Academic Success and the importance of those resources along with Mund, the library and fun events like Dutchmen Day and Valleyfest.”

In addition to the usual talking points about LVC’s facilities, McBride makes sure her tour groups know about some of the more subtle benefits on campus.

“I like talking about the interlibrary loan system. It’s a really great resource that gets underused on campus,” McBride said. “The PT building’s balcony is a good place to write when it’s warmer.”

As a student-athlete, chemistry and English dual major and RA, McBride appreciates how flexible her hours are. Her involvement is typically limited to weekends, but she views her time as a Valley Ambassador as time well spent.

“I really enjoy getting to talk to people and sharing my experience with new students. I give them the guidance that I wish I had when I was looking at schools,” McBride said.

The upcoming Sunday information session and campus tour will be from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Nov. 5. Students interested in becoming a Valley Ambassador can stop by to see them in action.