Behind the lenses

Photo provided by Alden Partyka

By Lynsey Brinkley ’24, staff writer

As the new season begins, athletes are always looking for someone to capture the moments they love most, and the person behind the lens is ready to capture those moments.

Alden Partyka is a junior exercise science and physical therapy major.  She is one of the few photographers you will see around LVC. She has been doing photography since 2018.  

“My grandfather did photography ever since I was little; when he got sick, he couldn’t take photos anymore. He ended up gifting me all his equipment, so ever since then, I have been taking photos,” Partyka said.

She then explained that she takes photos for the men’s ice hockey team and occasionally for the football team here at LVC. Partyka does not just shoot at LVC; she also does photo shoots for engagements, weddings, graduations and other special events.

“I first started out with nature; I feel like everyone starts that way,” Partyka said. “My sister’s graduation and wedding were the first big shoots I did. After that, more people sought me out to start doing their graduation and wedding photos as well.”

Partyka finds happiness in continuing the tradition her grandfather started because he is in the later stages of his life.

“I like seeing the reactions to the photos, especially the athletes, because they get to see how they play and appreciate what they do on the field, court or ice. “Partyka said.

Partyka plans to stay involved with photography for as long as she can, just like her grandfather did. She hopes to take pictures for her kids’ sporting events when the time comes.

“Obviously I want to put my career first, and with PT, it will be tough to do both. However, I do like having photography as a hobby, even if it is just here and there, I can see myself continuing,” Partyka said.

Look out for her at the sporting events here at LVC!