Student Spotlight: Jackson Klingaman

By Andrew Spaan ’25, staff writer

During his time at LVC, Jackson Klingaman has served LVC in a variety of different ways that have made a positive impact at the school and in the community.

First, Jackson has been the treasurer for the class of 2024 for the past three years. On top of the regular responsibilities of the treasurer, Jackson has also been involved with things like planning class socials, allotting clubs funding and helping with Dutchmen Day. Most recently, Jackson and the other Junior Class officers planned Homecoming for the fall of 2022.

Jackson has also been the facilities liaison for the past two years with the student government. This means that he meets regularly with the head of facilities to bring up possible concerns that students have.

“We have been addressing a lot of the accessibility concerns on campus as well as other random projects like installing a light at the volleyball court and getting shower hooks in Funk,” Jackson said.

Jackson did not stop there. Along with the service he has done with the student government, he has also gone out of his way to serve the surrounding community. Jackson has been frequently involved with Habitat for Humanity, an organization that fixes and builds houses so that lower income families can live in them with a 0-percent loan. He has volunteered at the Quittapahilla Creek by trimming invasive plants and maintain the trails there.

Moreover, Jackson is an actuarial science and economics double major with a minor in mathematics, who still can find time to tutor in a few economics’ classes.

“My service has impacted me in a positive way because I have met so many people throughout my service and have made so many great relationships,” Jackson said.  “My perspective of many things has changed and has made me a better person. Through my service I have become more empathetic and have been able to see the world through so many different perspectives.”

Jackson’s dream job after college is to be an actuary, specifically working in pet insurance.

“I love animals and I think it would be an amazing career to make sure our pets have affordable insurance,” Jackson said. “I also plan to continue my involvement in the community. LVC has instilled a passion for the community service in me and I plan to continue my involvement.”

Jackson also plans to use the skills he has acquired during his service to help him navigate a future workplace. Specifically, serving has helped him cultivate leadership skills that will pay dividends in any job.

“My service at LVC has greatly improved my leadership skills. I have worked with so many kinds of people on various projects. These projects have taught me how to be an effective communicator as well as an effective listener.”

Jackson has put in a ton of hard work to help better the LVC community and deserves to be recognized as an example to all about the power that service can have in the lives of others.

“I know the work is worth it because in the end it will have an impact.”