Trey Ralston: A lacrosse player’s journey to success

Photo by Steve Kime

By Jess Benninger ’26, staff writer

Who knew that one lacrosse clinic in preschool would kickstart a collegiate career? Trey Ralston didn’t, but he’s grateful for the path that lacrosse has led him down.

Trey’s older brother, Spencer, was the one to influence Trey’s start in lacrosse. After Spencer started playing in lacrosse clinics, Trey followed suit by attending clinics, as well as playing travel and club lacrosse throughout his adolescence. Eventually, it came time for Trey to start thinking about his post-high school plans. While deciding on a college may be difficult for many high school seniors, for Trey, the answer to where he would play next was clear.

“I know it’s cliche, but as soon as I stepped foot [on LVC’s campus], it just felt like home, and other schools didn’t feel like that. Especially after meeting some of the guys on the team, it felt like a brotherhood.” 

Trey’s first impression of LVC’s men’s lacrosse team was a little different than he had intended. Most prospective players are able to spend a night on campus with one of the lacrosse players—unfortunately for Trey, COVID-19 had other plans. Trey’s overnight stay ended up being reduced to one day on campus.

Nonetheless, Trey’s visit still confirmed his decision to commit to LVC.

“It was a really good opportunity because every [player] stopped by throughout the day and saw me. They all said, ‘hello’ and introduced themselves.”

Trey’s positive impression of the team’s sense of community proved to be true—especially as he impressed his teammates and coaches during his first season at LVC. In his very first game of his collegiate career, LVC faced a tough opponent: Franklin & Marshall College.

“I couldn’t believe that I was playing this top-20 nationally-ranked team. It was an amazing experience. I’ll always remember it for the rest of my life. Scoring the first goal, too, was amazing.” 

Trey described his first goal as a surreal experience.

“[Scoring in my first game] was a rollercoaster of emotions. All the hard work I had been putting in for years finally went to something great.”

It’s clear that Trey loves the community that he has found in LVC lacrosse. When asked if there were any drawbacks to playing the sport that he has committed most of his life to, he had only one qualm in mind.

“The toll [lacrosse] takes on your body—it’s very draining. The season is definitely a long four months.”

Despite the challenges of the lacrosse season, Trey knows that he can always rely on one person to support him through thick and thin.

“There’s no doubt about it—[my dad] is definitely my biggest supporter… He’s been to every single one of my games.”

While it may occupy a lot of his time, Trey’s focus is not solely on lacrosse. In between games and practices, Trey is a business administration student first. Trey has always been interested in business, and although he is only in his sophomore year, he hopes to pursue a career involving finance or stocks.

When asked if he had any parting advice for aspiring athletes, Trey instantly said this:

“Consistency. Whatever you do, just be consistent with it. No matter what—for any sport—the more and more you practice and the more and more you play, you’re just going to get better.”

Trey Ralston is living proof that hard work, dedication and—most importantly—consistency pay off in allowing young athletes to accomplish their dreams.