Internship at the aquarium

Photo provided by: Jacquelyn McBride

By Eliana Shenk ’24, staff writer

Internships are a great opportunity for students to explore their career options, and for one junior, it took her to the aquarium. 

Jacquelyn McBride, a junior ACS chemistry and English double major, recently interned at the University of Connecticut Avery Point and Mystic Aquarium. Here, she had the opportunity to dive into her chemistry major. 

“Day to day I did research in a paleoclimate lab working at benthic soil samples,” McBride said. “On the days that I wasn’t working in the lab, we were at the aquarium doing behind-the-scenes work with the animals with the veterinary clinic.” 

This internship was a special opportunity for McBride, and she was very grateful for the experience. However, as with most things, it also had its good and bad sides. 

“I learned that I don’t want to work in paleoclimate, but I also learned how much I love working with animals,” she said. “Since I’m doing chemistry and English, it wasn’t exactly the path I was planning to go on, but it was just something new to broaden my horizons.” 

With what she learned, McBride narrowed her focus for her career. She is looking forward to what the future holds for her as she continues to explore her field. 

Students interested in doing an internship can contact the Breen Center for Graduate Success to explore their options.