Benefits of getting involved on campus

By: Julia Craig ’24

Getting involved in extracurricular activities in college can be a scary thing to do for some students.

While it may be hard for some students to break out of their shell and join an extracurricular sport or organization, students can reap the benefits of doing so.  By joining a club, sport or fraternity/sorority, students create a default set of friends that they see regularly and can rely on. 

This is much more important in college than in high school because students are immersed in a completely new environment, where they likely do not know anyone at their new college or their home.  While LVC does a great job of getting first-year students to get to know each other during orientation through the FYE groups, getting involved on campus can foster students’ social life as well.

When I came to LVC, I did not know anybody, and I had only met my roommate once before starting my first year at LVC.  I joined the softball team, where I immediately made about 20 new friends that I grew close with.  Going to campus events and sporting events was also an easy way to break out of my shell and socialize with new people.  At a welcoming school, such as LVC, it may seem scary, but it is an incredibly easy task to make new friends through events and organizations on campus.