Sensory friendly recital is a major success

Ariana Genna ‘23, staff writer 

An LVC student hosted a sensory-friendly concert on Wednesday, Sept. 28.  

Madelyn Rader, a third-year music education and voice double major, decided to organize a sensory-friendly recital because of her own struggles with ADHD. The recital filled every seat in Zimmerman Hall and ended with a standing ovation.  

While walking into the recital, audience members were handed fidget toys that they could use throughout the performances. The fidget toys were not only for the audience to use but they were also used by Rader as she sang.  

“I feel really happy about it,” Rader said about the concert. “I got to use them [the fidget toys] on stage and they helped.”  

The recital featured a wide variety of songs such as “Lullaby” from The Consul, “Selections” by Paolo Tosti and “How to Return Home.” While Rader belted out these melodies, audience members used stress balls and marble fidgets.  

“I loved it, and I can’t believe nobody has thought of it before,” Julia Wecker, senior English and social justice major said. “It’s definitely an idea I am going to steal for when I do my recital.”  

The success of Rader’s recital shows the desire for accessibility on campus, and it serves as a reminder of how all spaces should be rethought to be more accessible.  

Students interested in attending LVC Music Department recitals should visit the department’s Facebook events page.