Service with a purpose

By Cassandra Martin ‘22, guest writer

Students would be hard pressed to miss Bella Calderone’s bright smile as she passes by on a chance sunny day at LVC. She speaks softly, greeting with a quiet hello, but is always willing to offer a compliment or two, and ask “how are you?”

The significance of this? Calderone truly wants to know. Indeed, it is her natural affinity for kindness that led her to Jen Liedtka’s service and volunteer program at LVC.

“One of the reasons I came to Lebanon Valley College was for the strong sense of community, and how there are so many different opportunities to get involved and give back,” Calderone said.

Calderone soon threw herself into various volunteer opportunities: elementary school tutoring, the LVC Blanket Challenge and an Angel Tree Program. With each new event, her passion for helping the people of her community grew.

“Volunteering has shaped my perspective in learning to be a part of something bigger than myself,” she said. “Thinking about how someone else may be living or sees the world can teach you a lesson. We have the power to help make the world a better place.”

But while the service events left Calderone feeling positive about her impact, the experience was anything but easy. She recalls a night that she slept outside, trying to gain perspective on what it’s like for the homeless to endure nights of cold temperatures and hard surfaces.

“I remember not being able to sleep due to the cold weather, not feeling comfortable in sleeping as it was not the typical mattress-topped bed that I am privileged to have and waking up in the morning just as tired as I was before I went to bed,” she said.

However, the experience gave her a glimpse into a homeless person’s life. Calderone was encouraged, determined to greet the homeless with her bright smile and a hello whenever she encountered them.

“They are people — just like you and I.”

But aside from the hardships of volunteering, Calderone says she has loved every aspect of her service.

“When you take a moment and reflect upon your privilege, it can be an uncomfortable feeling but one that is important to realize as it grows our understanding and empathy,” she said. “I have learned the importance of knowing and asking what someone needs. It may be hard to realize and unlearn that simply giving something to someone in need may not always be beneficial if it is not given with intention.”

And that is the aspect of service that Bella Calderone values most: intentionality. To give without thought to why you are really giving is not always helpful. Calderone imparts that asking how to support someone will go a long way in making an intentional impact on someone’s life.