LVC student worker goes above and beyond

Branden Matassa ’22, OTG editor

Every year, LVC’s Office of Human Resources and the Student Employee Committee announce “The LVC Student Employee of the Year.” This year’s winner is Lauren Walters, an English and creative writing major.

Throughout Walter’s four years at LVC, she’s held an impressive number of positions, mostly in the English department.

Her assistance in the department started in the second semester of her first year. She attended prospective student outreach events like LVC Live, and was willing to answer questions and share her experiences with prospective students and their families. But her dedication to future LVC students didn’t stop there, she also contacted students via phone and email to answer any questions and acted as a mentor to newly committed students.

Keep in mind, this all began in just her first year at LVC.

Beginning her sophomore year and continuing through senior year, Walters has worked as a writing mentor for FYE courses taught by Dr. Holly Wendt, associate professor of English and director of creative writing. During the same timeframe, she’s also created content for the English and creative writing program’s social media accounts.

“I started with one weekly feature on one platform and then eventually it blossomed into designing posts across multiple platforms, focusing on integrating growth and engagement strategies,” Walters said.

Come junior year, she served as the Writing: a Life program assistant director and remained in the role during her senior year. In this position, Walters worked to create print and digital advertising for program events, coordinated events such as book discussions and lent any additional support as needed.

As graduation approaches, she continues to reflect on her multitude of opportunities at LVC.

“I feel incredibly fortunate to say that I have truly enjoyed serving in every single one of these roles and am incredibly grateful for the amazing practical experience I’ve gained through them,” Walters said. “I’d also like to especially express my gratitude to Dr. Wendt and Dr. Machado for allowing me these opportunities and for their continued support.”

While Walters is clearly worthy of such an honor, her achievement came as a surprise.

“I actually found out about winning the award when my friend sent me a congratulatory text, so I was simultaneously surprised, elated and honoured to be named Student Employee of the Year,” Walters said. “I’ve absolutely adored serving in all of these positions, so being recognized for this award really is an added bonus.”

LVC wishes Walters congratulations and good luck for the future as she is less than a month from graduating.