Accelerated accounting accelerating careers

By Casey Shillabeer ’22, staff writer

Most accelerated accounting students at LVC have jobs lined up before they even graduate with their undergraduate degree, and then most come back for their MBA. This is the case for senior accounting major and football player Jay Sisko.

Sisko added a business administration minor while also participating in the accelerated accounting program. This program fast tracks students to their undergraduate degree in three years instead of four, then most use their fourth year to complete their MBA. 

While handling all this schooling, he also finds time to play football.

“Being in this program taught me how to manage my time with a busy football schedule as well as a busy school schedule,” Sisko said.

After obtaining his MBA, Sisko will work for Simon Lever located in Lititz. He recently completed an internship with them over the summer of 2021, and when he completed his internship, they offered him a full-time job after graduation.

Most business majors dread their accounting classes, but Sisko enjoys them.

“Both my parents were accountants, and I liked what they were doing so I decided to pursue the same path,” Sisko said.

Sisko is most excited for starting his career after graduation and finding the right accounting path that interests him. He is also grateful for the opportunity to play football while also pursuing his degree.

Football has benefited his education in many ways.

“Playing football has taught me how to work in a team, manage my time, and working hard to get better at something,” Sisko said.

Coach Drake and Professor Barton have both made impacts on Sisko throughout his college career.

“I want to thank Coach Drake for bringing me to LVC and continuing to help me throughout my college career,” Sisko said. “And thank you to Professor Barton for her career advice and helping me through the last three years as my advisor.”

LVC wishes Jay the best of luck when he starts his career in the fall of 2023!