Internship paves way to success

Brendan Byler

By Will Harriger, ’22 guest writer 

College can be tough for many reasons. For Brendan Byler, a junior accounting major, college is tough because of his grueling schedule. 

Byler is a multisport collegiate athlete – both on the men’s tennis team and Rocket League esports team – and student in the grueling accelerated accounting program. He is also involved in many other on-campus activities and clubs, including the First Year Mentor program and acting as the active president of the Ping Pong Club.  

“Time management has become a skill that I had to acquire,” Byler said. “I came to college to get involved, and I surely am involved to the max.” 

This semester for Byler is his busiest yet, as he has a promising internship in downtown Lancaster for an accounting firm on top of his already loaded schedule.  

“My days start at 6 a.m. and end past 12 a.m. [when he goes to sleep], but I couldn’t be happier with where I’m at,” Byler said. “I am waking up early and dressing up, and it’s starting to feel very professional to me.”  

Byler enjoys working alongside veteran accountants who have been teaching him their working strategies. His excitement to learn makes the hour commute to and from work that much easier. 

“I help with clients, and I have been loving getting to know each one I encounter,” Byler said. “Hands on experience is what I wanted, and I am getting that this semester.”  

As a student in the accelerated accounting program, Brendan will graduate as junior in May. Being an accountant, though, is not the end goal for Byler. He would like to work at big firm in a city and dabble in real estate. 

“I would like to acquire at least 20 rental properties that I would be the owner of,” Byler said. “Real Estate is where my end goal is, accounting can just get me there faster.”  

It appears Byler has the numbers all figured out.