Wig & Buckle to perform this semester

By Kaitlyn Metz ’22, staff writer 

Wig & Buckle Theater Company is back and will perform “The Cripple of Inishmaan” before Thanksgiving break. 

Wig & Buckle is a student-led organization that was founded in 1935. The theater company puts on three to four shows per year, which usually includes one musical, one classical play and one contemporary play. The president of Wig & Buckle this year is Chiara Meyers.  

“I love performing because I am able to escape from the stresses of my life and develop a character for a few hours every day,” Meyers, a senior creative writing and English major, said.  

“The Cripple of Inishmaan” is written by the Irish playwright Martin McDonagh. This play is a dark comedy and follows the story of a community in a small Irish village on the Aran Islands during the 1930s. A boy who suffers from a disability must deal with abuse from his town as he tries to escape it. A Hollywood film crew eventually comes in and gives him a great opportunity, and he takes it.  

The students have been working hard and practicing to get this performance ready to go. Since Meyers is the president this year, she has been making sure everything is perfect and set up for rehearsals.  

“I have been with Wig & Buckle for four years now and the theater is a second family for me,” Meyers said. “The friends I have made have lasted with me through my time here at LVC.” 

Wig & Buckle holds weekly meetings on Fridays at 4 p.m. in the Leedy Theater. These weekly meetings are open to anyone who wants to get involved.  

The Wig & Buckle Theater Company will be performing “The Cripple of Inishmaan” Nov. 19 and Nov. 20, at 7 p.m. and Nov. 21, at 2 p.m. in the Leedy Theater.