Abi Sweger: Female football player

By Jordan Walter ’24, staff writer

LVC has its first female football player in 10 years.

This is Abi Sweger’s first official season as a kicker at LVC. She found her love for kicking in her senior year of high school. With her success of playing soccer in high school, she has been able to relay those skills on to the football field.

“I fell in love with kicking after I found a kicking coach following my senior season and I got more serious about the sport,” Sweger said. “I never thought I would continue in college, but I had so much support along the way and such a good experience in high school, I thought why not try?”

Playing both football and wrestling in high school, Abi has faced many obstacles with being part of an all-male roster. But she did not let those hardships get in the way of playing the sports she loves.

“I have heard every comment you could think of,” the junior speech-pathology major said. “I don’t let words from opposing teams or people in the stands get to my head. I use it to motivate myself to continue to work hard and prove them wrong.”

Thankfully, Sweger has experienced a better playing environment at LVC. She has been able to prove herself to her teammates with her hard work and determination during pre-season, earning her teammates’ respect.

“A pivotal moment for me was going through football camp for the first time here at LVC,” Sweger said. “Camp is very hard to get through, both physically and mentally, but when a team goes through something as tough as that, they become so much stronger and closer.”

Spending time during the day with her teammates and coaches has helped Sweger feel part of the team. Sweger has grown close with her teammates and coaches, making her football experience feel more like a family environment, she explains.

“I have been really lucky to have such a great team that does not make me feel left out in any way.” Abi said. “These guys are some of my best friends. It just feels like I have a whole lot of brothers!”

The football team currently has a record of 2-2. Its next game is Saturday, Oct. 9, against Fairleigh Dickinson University at Arnold Field at 12 p.m.