Khalil Brim: Published author, multi-club leader, college student

By: Alexandra Gonzalez ’23, staff writer

Khalil Brim, a senior English and creative writing major, is a writer who believes that true artists should be interested in many things – especially the things around them – in order to be the best artist that they can be. His philosophy has driven him to try new things and get involved, and he has learned from the very people that he leads.

During his time at LVC, Brim has been involved in many extracurriculars. He has served as president of the Black Student Union (BSU) for three years.

“With the help of so many wonderfully intelligent and passionate students, we were able to turn BSU into one of the largest and most impactful clubs on campus, striving every day to celebrate, appreciate and spread understanding of black culture and issues facing minorities in general,” Brim said.

Brim has served as a Mosaic Mentor, which mentors first-year intercultural ALANA- and LGBTQ- identifying students, for three years. He also student advises Latin Excellence (LatinX) and Asian Culture Club.

Brim was a Valley Blue Coat for two years. He has served as president of LVC’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, an international English honor society, and also founded LVC’s book club.

Speaking of books, Brim’s first novel, “The Flower of the Valencia,” was published in Dec. of 2017, during his first year at the College. After the release of his first novel, Brim started writing the sequel.  

“I finished it; but, after going through an independent study with Dr. Holly M. Wendt, associate professor of English, I realized that it would be best if I combined books one and two,” Brim said. “So, the book that is currently scheduled to be released in mid- to late summer isn’t truly my second book, but an expanded republication.”

Brim has continued to work on this project throughout his time as a student at LVC.

“So, from the beginning of writing to now, it has taken me around four solid years of writing, editing, researching, allowing people to read and review it, writing some more, editing, editing and more editing, until I got to where I am now,” Brim said. “It has been an extremely long process, but I have learned so much about myself, the world around me, and just my ability to create truly memorable prose.”

Brim’s talent as a writer, scholar and leader opens up endless professional possibilities for him for the future.

“I will be a celebrated author, feverishly working on novels, poems and other offerings to the world so others can be inspired to create,” Brim said. “I love working with minorities, so I know my path will lead me to either being a teacher or professor, teaching creative writing to minorities, while still having the freedom to travel and talk about my publications.”

For Brim, college graduation only marks the beginning of these dreams.

Photo provided by Khalil Brim.