Spotted lanternflies swarm campus

By: Chloe Kline ’21, Staff Writer 

Invasive spotted lanternflies have been spotted flying around campus. 

The insects, which are not native to the United States, have been a major problem for agricultural industries since they were first seen in the state about six years ago. Lanternflies have been spotted in groups on campus trees and plants, and often land on and around buildings. 

Fall is the pests’ laying season where they leave masses of eggs on trees. Their bodies secrete a substance that can cause mold growth and death to trees and other plants. They have also recently proven to be toxic to dogs and cats, so pet owners are advised to keep an eye on their animals. 

If you are on campus and see lanternflies or their eggs, do your civic duty and destroy them on the spot. Eliminating the bugs and their eggs is essential to preventing their spread to other areas and reducing the damage they can do. 

“I think they’re disgusting, and I already have a bias against bugs, so it really just makes me dislike them more,” Caitlyn Kline, a sophomore creative arts major, said. “I hate killing bugs even though I despise them, however I’m doing so to keep this situation under control.” 

More information on the species can be found on the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture’s website.