COVID-19 obstacles for physical therapy students

By: Lauren Swisher ’22, Staff Writer

The COVID-19 pandemic has caused obstacles for many exercise science juniors seeking internships.

In order to enter the physical therapy program, students must complete 30 hours of internships before applying to LVC, and then complete 60 more hours of internships before their junior year. Because of COVID-19, these requirements were lessened to thirty more hours of internships with a new deadline of the spring semester.

“The physical therapist (PT) I shadowed was amazing with adapting my shadowing to observing Zoom appointments because of COVID,” Amanda Marsh, a junior physical therapy student, said.

Marsh shadowed an IU13 physical therapist this summer. IU13 is a company that works with preschool-aged children with disabilities.

“Having the kids on zoom is harder,” Marsh said. “parents need to figure out the technology and have an open space with decent Wi-Fi.”

Despite shadowing over Zoom, Marsh learned much during their interview and was able to ask questions about the tools and exercises the children needed.

“My PT was very good about giving in-depth answers,” Marsh said. “They linked me good videos and articles related to the questions I asked.”

While Marsh is keeping their options for a physical therapy career after LVC open, they are considering working with people with chronic illnesses and disabilities due to their IU13 internship.