LVC senior reflects on her final year

By: Jensen Burnheimer ’21, staff writer

Nothing is predictable during the times of the COVID-19, especially many students’ final years of college.

Taking on the arduous major of neuroscience, LVC senior Emily Smeltz is looking forward to her final year of college and closing this chapter of her life to begin new ones. However, COVID-19 is finding its way around college campuses. While focusing on her studies and trying to stay positive, the thought of how the virus could affect her senior year lingers in the back of her head.

“It feels different being back on campus than it has in past years,” Smeltz said. “I can’t say it is good or bad, but it is an experience I will be able to tell my grandpups one day.”

Of course, being back on campus is going to feel different this year. Similarly, classes and labs are feeling a bit different as well. Class sizes are smaller, all students are wearing masks and desks are much more spaced out.

“This year, our labs are cut into two different sessions,” Smeltz said. “Usually, bio labs are four hours, but now half the group goes to the lab for the first two hours, and the second half goes for the last two hours. Since we are not in the lab all four hours, we need to do extra labs online as well because we are technically not fulfilling the four-hour lab requirement.”

Starting classes in person again after being online for months is an adjustment for everyone. Freshmen and seniors are the only students on campus at the moment, but it is not just the freshmen that are in for new experiences.

“The first week of classes was an adjustment because I had to figure out my own schedule,” Smeltz said. “Some of my classes are in-person and some are online, so I had to organize my schedule. Once I got a hang of that, I started to feel better, and I think this semester will be okay. Regardless of the adjustment, I decided to participate in face-to-face classes because I learn better this way.”

No matter what class a student may be in, all students have their worries for the year.

“As a senior, I am concerned that we will be sent home, and I will have to finish out my senior year online and not be able to walk at graduation,” Smeltz said.

While we are all learning how to do this together, it is important that students do their part by following the student conduct and guidelines so we can stay together on campus and make the most of these chaotic and unpredictable times.