Published author shares time with students

By: Sierra Force ’20, staff writer

Jen Michalski, a published fiction writer, spent a week on Lebanon Valley College’s campus in conjunction with the English department’s visiting writer’s series, “Writing: A Life.”

Michalski hosted a reading, Q&A session, creative writing workshop and colloquium from Oct. 15-19.

Her first event was a public reading in Bishop Library Atrium. She read chapters and excerpts from her own work before taking questions from the audience. This gave insight into her writing routine and when her life-long passion first began.

“I wrote my first story when I was 4 or 5 years old on a piece of folded paper,” Michalski said. “My writing is how I analyze the world.”

Michalski also shared that she does not write a first or second draft of her work, but instead has small drafts that come together toward the end of the writing process. Furthermore, she does not believe in outlining her stories, but rather lets the story take control and unfold more naturally.

“You don’t choose your stories, your stories choose you,” Michalski said.

Later, books were for sale in the library for attendees to purchase.

Michalski’s creative writing workshop was held for all LVC student writers both new and old. Her prompts were textual, visual and auditory. She helped the workshop writers take inspiration from the tension found in advice columns and the scenery of photographs as well as the lyrics and sounds within songs.

Michalski believes that advice columns are one of the best ways to gain story ideas, since the tension of the scenarios is present and can influence characterization.

The final event Jen Michalski hosted was her colloquium talk titled, “The Writer Warrior: Reclaiming Our Narratives.” The hour-long talk discussed the ways in which writing has influenced and inspired Michalski’s voice, as well as what it can do for other writers’ voices. Michalski’s writing is a way of making her voice known.

During the presentation, she quoted many famous and well-established writers, such as Ta-Nehisi Coates, Anne Frank, Toni Morrison and more.

“I want to thank everyone for allowing me to be here and for allowing me to share my story,” Michalski, at the conclusion of her lecture, said.

The English department staff and students enjoyed Jen Michalski’s well-deserved time on campus and is eager to present the next visiting writer and more writing opportunities