One student’s gaming experience

By Jalen Cliatt ‘18, Staff Writer

Lebanon Valley College’s newest sports team is generating quite a buzz.

With the announcement of Lebanon Valley College’s esports team, questions ranging from uniforms to play schedules have been posed by the student body. Little is known right now, but a forum on the matter will aim to address the questions and concerns regarding the organization. Justin Knecht, an A-team jungler in League of Legends helped to shed some light on what some players are doing to prep for the upcoming season.

“We practice twice a week for three hours,” Knecht said. “After the games, we break into teams [based on team roles] and review what we could improve and do better.”

Like other athletes, Knecht has figured out how to balance his workload and his training regimen. Knecht has been playing the multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) franchise for years, but getting a chance to play for an official team has really opened his opportunities.

“[League] has become such an important part of my life that if I had a chance to enter into the pro scene or become a [Twitch] streamer, I’d love to do it.” Knecht said. “ [I’d like to] graduate first though.”

When Knecht told his friends on and off campus, the reception was warm and quizzical.

“My friends whom I game with were super excited to hear about the team and my position, but when I told my friends outside of the gaming scene, they didn’t super understand, but they kinda get it.” Knecht said. “ A lot of people don’t think [competitive] gaming is a sport, but there hasn’t been any backlash.”

While these games don’t take physical strength Knecht explains that is takes mental strength.

“You have to be thinking 10  plus things at once, know what’s best for you and your team in each situation, assess the strategies of your opponents and location, gold income, map vision….there are so many things to take care of it causes a mental strain,” Knecht said.

The tactical prowess of Esports has been recognized by renown events like the Olympics and international sports conglomerates such as Twitch and Cloud 9. With the recognition, which now extends to LVC, Knecht couldn’t be happier.