Senior swim meet

The LVC swim team seniors celebrate their last meet.

By: Kurt Harnish, Staff Writer ’20

The Lebanon Valley College men’s and women’s swim teams celebrated an accomplished season, by acknowledging unique members of the team on Jan. 20.

Both the men’s and women’s swim teams competed against the Hood College Blazers. The men’s team tied the Blazers with a score of 109-109, while the women’s team was able to beat the Blazers 170-69. It was a memorable day for the seniors on the swim team because this was their last home meet.

“It is always fun to swim at home because of the atmosphere the parents and fellow students make for the meet,” Jordan Heavel, a senior breaststroke specialist, said.

Heavel came to LVC to play tennis but later found himself joining the swim team. Swimming has meant a great deal to him.

“Swimming has meant so much to me while I have been here at LVC because it has provided me an escape from the schoolwork and an outlet where I can enjoy myself,” Heavel said.

While the senior men were not able to experience a win in their last home meet, the women were able to come out on top. Winning the last home meet of the season was special for all swimmers.

“Winning our last home meet was a great high because it is the last time us seniors get to swim at our home pool,” Danielle Burns, a senior freestyle specialist, said. “Our last home meet was also bitter sweet because LVC swimming has been like a family to me and knowing that the season is almost over is sad.”

The Dutchmen have two away swim meets left before their Conference Championship meet in February. They will face Messiah College Saturday, Jan. 27, then compete against Lycoming College on Sunday, Jan. 28.

kph001@lvc.edu