Division III Week: April 3-9

Theresa Messenger ’18, Staff Writer

Lebanon Valley College is devoted to creating successful students who strive in every area of discipline, including athletics.

Each year, the NCAA dedicates one week to the commitment of Division III athletes and the impact of those individuals on college campuses. LVC athletics contributes to the celebration by featuring the academic and athletic accomplishments of players at the Valley during DIII week, which began April 3 and will conclude on April 9.

“During DIII Week, our initiative is to promote the importance of Division III principles in creating well rounded students in the classroom and on the field of play,” Tom Klemick, LVC director of athletic communications, said.

A significant percentage of the overall student body participates in athletics at the Valley, and they all demonstrate leadership, participate in community service and are involved on campus. Through each individual’s time as a DIII athlete, he or she is able to develop his or her passion and love of the game, without losing sight of other personal ambitions.

“Playing a Division III sport in college has affected me in a multitude of ways academically, athletically and socially,” Josh Herring, a freshman business administration major and member of the baseball team, said. “I have been able to enhance my study habits and work ethic due to the limited time available for homework during the season. I have also been blessed with teammates from all year levels that have assisted me in my skill set with the game of baseball, all while becoming the best of friends at the same time.”

Division III athletics has also contributed other benefits to student-athletes, and for many, the DIII aspect of LVC was a large reason they decided to commit to the Valley.

“I chose to play a DIII sport because I love the game and I wanted to continue playing through college, which LVC allowed me to do,” Emma Jones, a junior biology major and captain of the women’s lacrosse team, said. “I also love being united with a team.”

NCAA Division III sports are highly commended in the athletic and institutional realm.

All are encouraged to continue following and celebrating Dutchmen athletics during the remainder of Division III Week by attending games and matches as well as by following LVC Athletics on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Event schedules can be found online at www.godutchmen.com.

tm007@lvc.edu