A doctor in the making

By Collin Moore ’18, staff writer

For this year’s commencement, Vidya Lala, senior biology and pre-medicine major, will be graduating from Lebanon Valley College and although she has had success within her academics, her engagement with school activities will be remembered most.

The reigning homecoming queen was born in Trichardt, South Africa and lived there until she was four years old. She then moved to Pennsylvania when her father received a job offer in the United States. At first she lived in an apartment in Hampden Township, but later on she and her family found their permanent residence in Silver Spring Township.

Lala is not alone LVC. Her sister is a sixth year physical therapy major. With Lala’s sister joining her on campus, her development as a college student was less difficult than it would have been if she was alone.

“When I was applying, my sister was in her sophomore year. “Lala said. “My parents wanted me to attend LVC, as they felt that it was a home away from home.”

Although when her sister was already a college student when Lala was still enrolled in high school, LVC was not her first option for higher education.

“I dreamed of going to UCLA and was accepted both there and at UC Berkeley,” Lala said. “However, due to tuition and distance from home, I was unable to attend either one of these schools. So I chose to enroll at the University of Pittsburgh; until Dr. Dale Erskine called me at home and asked me to reconsider LVC, stating that I was one of three students to have received the Graham Biology scholarship.”

Although her dreams for her college destination did not go as planned, she still made the best out of her opportunity attending LVC. On the Board of Trustees, Lala serves as a student trustee. She is heavily involved with Colleges against Cancer. She played a major role with helping with school mini thons and activities such as Valley Fest and Circle K.

In the fall of 2014, Lala was inducted into the Sigma Alpha Pi Leadership and Success Honors Society and Tri Beta Biology Honors Society. In the spring of 2016 she was inducted into the Chemistry Honors Society and in the spring of 2017, she was inducted in the Pi Alpha Epsilon Society. Lala has received many accolades throughout her college years and she believes that it helped make her a better student and person.

“Throughout my four years, I have been given many opportunities to develop as a leader and explore my true potential; something that I am certain I would not have been able to achieve if I went to a larger institution,” Lala said.

After graduation, she plans to become a medical practitioner and has been accepted to a few medical schools. Although she has not made a decision, she is currently working as a medical scribe in the emergency department at the Penn State Hershey Medical Center. The center has given Lala a lot of experience and provided many opportunities to become familiar with the various cases she might be exposed to for her dream job as a doctor.

C. Moore Cjm012@lvc.edu