Home away from home

By Cassandra Barrett ’19, Staff Writer

Lebanon Valley College is home to nearly 2,000 students who represent 20 different states across the country.

Junior Marie Szilard is a physical therapy major from Rochester Hills, Michigan, which is roughly 500 miles away from LVC. It takes her close to nine hours by car to get to campus for the start of the semester.

Szilard was initially drawn to LVC because of the 6-year physical therapy program the college offers.

“There aren’t many programs in the nation, only about one or two per state,” Szilard said.

For Szilard, Lebanon Valley College provides her with excellent hands-on training and learning for her future career in physical therapy.  However, Szilard has come to love and appreciate the school for more than just her chosen major.

“Being here it just feels like home,” Szilard said. “Even if physical therapy wasn’t here, even if I was a business major or an education major that I could go anywhere for, I would still pick LVC.”

Samantha Watson, also a junior, echoes Szilard’s love for the Valley. Watson is an Actuarial Science and Economics double major who currently resides in Virginia, but was living in Florida when she chose Lebanon Valley College. Valrico, Florida is more than 1,000 miles away from LVC. Watson’s father works for the U.S. Military, so she has lived in nine different states including Hawaii, Maryland, Kansas, North Carolina and Georgia.

Her aunt, an alumna of LVC, recommended that she look into Lebanon Valley. Watson chose LVC primarily because of its Actuarial Science program. Since living in Annville, however, Watson says she has come to love LVC not only for its fantastic programs and faculty, much like Szilard, but also for its sense of community.

“The people are great, so I think that makes a big difference,” Watson said. “I’ll walk to class and see ten people that I know, and it’s not like I pass a bunch of strangers. I love that I can recognize everyone, and I’m definitely glad I’ve made this choice.”

Attending college for many students can be a very nerve-wracking experience, especially for those who travel great distances. However, Szilard and Watson make it clear that Lebanon Valley College has already provided them with much more than just academic knowledge. It has given them a sense of community and belonging.  LVC is now home.

Be the first to comment on "Home away from home"