First year experience, COVID-19 edition

By Meridyth Sanders, co-editor in chief 

Freshman year of college is usually a time of exploring, getting involved and finding new friend groups, but this year’s freshmen are finding that all of these things are much more challenging during a global pandemic.  

College and state government restrictions, although set in place to keep people safe, also make it difficult for freshmen to participate in campus events and get involved in extracurriculars. Many traditional events are not able to take place in the same capacity as previous years, and some can not happen at all.  

“I don’t think anyone really expected to have to wear masks and social distance when they were attending their first year of college,” Jacquelyn McBride, freshman English and chemistry double major, said. “But thankfully, I am finding other ways to reach out to people who are online and in person.” 

The constant threat of remote learning also adds to the potential for freshmen to feel isolated and removed from campus. Although McBride is a member of the women’s tennis team, acts as the Liaison in the College’s Honors Council and actively volunteers in community service events, these activities can’t take place during periods of remote learning.  

“As the social butterfly that I am, not being able to interact with the majority of campus has been hard for me,” McBride said. “I have been a lot less involved so far this semester, as trying to learn online has been a lot more difficult for me than for others.” 

Although the present restrictions and uncertainty can make getting involved more difficult, there is hope that these could change in the near future. Current freshmen still have years left for progress to be made and restrictions to gradually ease.  

“Thankfully, I still feel as though I have been getting a strong freshman experience, both socially and academically,” McBride said. “I am hoping that as the years progress, the pandemic will lessen, allowing me more opportunities to engage with others, both on campus and around Annville.”