Senior makes strides

By La Vie Staff Writer

In the fight against breast cancer, an LVC student sees an opportunity to make a difference and prove to the world that real men wear pink.
The American Cancer Society holds walks around the country called “Making Strides” to raise money and awareness for breast cancer research. The annual Harrisburg “Making Strides” walk brought participants together for a three to five mile walk that included LVC student Jared Michaels.

“My grandmother is a breast cancer survivor, my future mother-in-law is a breast cancer survivor, I lost a grandfather when I was younger to a different type of cancer and my other grandfather is a current cancer survivor as well.” Michaels, a senior biology major, said. “Basically, my whole family has bee fighting cancer at some point.”

Michaels sees “Making Strides” as an opportunity to improve the lives of others and to remind people thatthere are others out there willing to o er support and understanding.

“It’s a personal thing,” Michaels said. “I know what other people can go through, so I can relate and help out. Why not do it? It’s easy to do and is a good cause that can one day make a difference.”

Michaels wears pink not only to make an impact, but also to inform the community about an important distinction.

“Men wear pink because it helps destigmatize the fact that men can get breast cancer as well,” Michaelssaid. “It’s not an issue that just affects women.”