King and Queen crowned

By Cassandra Barrett ’19, editor-in-chief

This year’s Homecoming festivities included the unveiling of the 2018 Dutchmen Ale, free hot dogs, inflatables, tailgating and more, including one of LVC’s favorite Homecoming traditions at halftime of the football game.

Kevin Beaver, biochemistry and environmental science double major, and Marie Grenchik, a senior music education major, were crowned this year’s Homecoming King and Queen. Both Beaver and Grenchik are student-athletes, Peer Mentors and are involved in many organizations and clubs across campus. At halftime, Beaver and Grenchik were crowned with the help of President Lewis E. Thayne and his wife, Dorothy Thayne.

For Beaver, this Homecoming was eye-opening.

“It was a crazy weekend for me,” Beaver said. “In addition to being on the Court, I was running around between my lacrosse game, the Brew Crew and working the football game. I was overwhelmed. But as I thought about it, those were the reasons I was standing where I was. I remember 4 years ago, as a freshman, seeing Bridget and Vinny and the rest of the Court, and just thinking about how involved they were in our LVC community. And to think that in these 4 years that is who I have become is just truly mind-blowing to me.”

Grenchik felt humbled to represent LVC on this year’s Homecoming Court.

“Being on the Court with this group of people in the first place was such an honor, and I was completely shocked that I was lucky enough to be among a group of such kind, talented and beautiful human beings,” Grenchik said. “Representing LVC in a way like this is such a blessing and I thank anybody who voted for me.”