Reading between the lines

By: Huntre Keip ’20, staff writer

To some college students, being a part of a book club may sound boring, but one LVC student brings forth the importance of analyzing a novel.

Kahlil Brim, a freshman English major, is the president and founder of LVC’s latest book club. Brim began the club during this spring semester after he published his first book titled “The Flower of the Valencia.”

“I love to break down books and help people enjoy reading,” Brim said. “My mom is a teacher, so I believe I have some of her teaching skills.”

The book club is currently studying Brim’s novel, but he and fellow members are discussing potential books to read next semester. The club’s goal is to read a book each month that is no longer than 400 pages.

“Each month, we want a book with a different theme which could vary from women empowerment, relationships or real-life stories,” Brim said.

The club is anxious to read more books, but they also plan on helping younger children in the community surrounding the College. Members want to collaborate and make a small children’s book for visitors of the local libraries.

“Whether it’s fundraising or helping young children read, this club has no limits which is why I love it so much,” Brim said.

The book club meets every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Fellowship Lounge located in the Frederic K. Miller Chapel.