Burns to the rescue

By: Huntre Keip ’20, Staff writer

When students are either sleeping or up late studying, one LVC sophomore works to save lives.

Sara Burns, a sophomore history major is a nationally certified EMT and firefighter. She has been a firefighter for three years and an EMT for two years. Her interest for helping people began when she was a little girl.

In first grade, her house caught on fire. Because of this, Burns and her older brothers became interested in volunteering their time for fire safety and helping people in emergency situations. Volunteerism is a major part of Burns’ life.

“My mom always told my siblings and me that we had to help those who cannot help themselves,” Burns said. “That’s what I try to do when I’m in the back of the ambulance or on the scene of a fire call.”

Burns gets paid for her services, but also dedicates much of her time volunteering as a firefighter for her hometown fire company and the Annville-Cleona area.

While at LVC, Burns serves as an EMT for First Aid and Safety Patrol in Lebanon, Pa. Her shifts vary, but she works anywhere between 12-36 hours a week.

“I always try to work night shift, so then I have time for my classes and studying during the day,” Burns said.

She takes pride for her volunteer efforts and her friends acknowledge her work as well.

“Sara takes pride in firefighting and being an EMT, even outside of her workplaces, she is always applying her skills to everyday things,” Kaylee Kleffel, a sophomore physical therapy major, said.

After LVC, Burns plans to continue this track and be a firefighter and paramedic in a big city.

Being a full-time college student, a firefighter and an EMT is a balancing act, but Burns would not change it for anything.