Musical love

nowak2

By: Missy Walmer, Staff writer

A professor’s experiences create a great love for music that he wants to share.

Lebanon Valley College professor Robert Nowak has had musical experiences with actress Susan Anton, actor and singer from “The Godfather” Al Martino, a polka band and many others. Nowak has performed for Martino alongside his conductor and piano player in Downingtown.

“What got me noticed was [Martino’s] conductor loved the way my triangle sounded,” Robert Nowak, an instructor of music, said.

Nowak has worked with many Italian singers and has played multiple shows. But he stays very humble.

“I never asked for autographs,” Nowak said.  “I never got any pictures. That’s the job. People that are entertainers aren’t stars. They’re just normal people who have a lot of stories to share.”

Professor Nowak was first fascinated by drums, percussion and marching band, which sparked his love for music in high school.

“Music takes you all over and sort of permeates your life and it’s basically just me,” Nowak said.

Nowak instructs an introductory level music class. His main goal is to get students to go out and listen to an orchestra concert or just to experience more than what the popular music of the day is.

“I’m very happy if we can just get everybody out to things and experience something new rather than be locked into what the radio stations play,” Nowak said.

Nowak describes his interest in the television show “Dancing with the Stars” because of their use of a live orchestra. But later on they took away the live music. His goal is to get students to go out and experience these dwindling occurrences.

“The trick is to find something to do, something you like, and then continue to do it,” Nowak said.

Nowak strives to preserve the authenticity of live music and the love for music. But overall, it’s about finding something to love and promoting it.