Mochi moves towards computational chemistry

Photo provided by Bruno Mochi

By Angelica Fraine ’23, staff writer

With graduation here, it’s an exciting time for current seniors to set their sights on new horizons, and for Bruno Mochi, the path onwards is clear.  

Mochi, a senior chemistry major, will pursue a Ph.D. at Northeastern University to further his career path in the field of computational chemistry—chemistry that is done primarily with computers rather than hands-on lab work. 

“One of my professors, Dr. Ghimire, mentioned it off hand because he knew I was interested in math,” Mochi said. “And I said, okay this is kind of cool that people do chemistry, but on a computer.” 

During this past summer, Mochi participated in a research program at the University of Miami where he was given the opportunity to explore different areas of computational chemistry and fell in love with the process.  

“I learned how to do one little snippet of it, and thought, this is so cool,” Mochi said. “I know I could do this for the rest of my life and be happy.” 

From there, Mochi began to investigate what the next steps of his pursuit would be and decided to continue with higher education into a Ph.D. program to fully hone his skills and understanding of computational chemistry.  

“I’m really open to whatever life has in store for me after I get my Ph.D.,” Mochi continued to elaborate on his career goals. “Whether it be working for a private company doing research and development, I’d be open to that, or be a government scientist, I’d also be open to that. That’s where I see myself.”  

Mochi has high hopes for what the future entails and holds much excitement for what’s to come.