LVC senior focuses on future

By Justin Hall ’22, staff writer

Zachary Balodis is a senior biochemistry and molecular biology major who has spent his four years at LVC balancing an intricate academic workload with a rigorous hockey schedule and excelled at both.

Originally from Parma, Ohio, Zach Balodis began playing hockey when he was just three years old. He fell in love with the game and began playing for some of the most elite travel teams in the Midwest, often traveling all over the country and even competing in top international tournaments in countries like Russia and Canada.

Balodis explained how his experiences playing in foreign countries promoted his passion for hockey.

“Being exposed to top competition hockey all over the world furthered my interest in the game and helped me realize that hockey could offer me future opportunities,” Balodis said.

As his career progressed, Balodis kept improving and drew the attention of several college scouts across the country. He was presented with numerous offers from different colleges, but ultimately decided to attend LVC based off its reputation as a strong academic institution.

“The academics definitely played the biggest role in my decision to come to LVC,” Balodis said. “I knew that I had to prioritize my life after hockey and I felt that LVC was the best option to reach my professional aspirations.”

The science program at LVC appealed to Balodis, who had always known chemistry was his biggest academic strength. He knew the workload would be demanding, especially while he had to juggle his hockey responsibilities as well.

Balodis’ efforts inside the classroom were apparent, as he appeared on the Dean’s List several times. In both his sophomore and junior seasons, Balodis was awarded a position on the Middle Athletic Conference all-academic team for his outstanding performance academically.

On his long list of accolades, Balodis identified his academic awards as the accomplishments he is most proud of.

“I am very proud of my academic honors,” Balodis said. “I have always placed a priority on my schoolwork because I know that will help me more in the future than any of my athletic abilities.”

While Balodis shined academically, he also orchestrated one of the most successful careers the LVC men’s ice hockey program has ever seen. He was a starter for all four years and anchored the defensive core as one of the most important players on the roster.

After his rookie season, Balodis was selected by his teammates as the freshman of the year for his immediate impact. Balodis continued to develop his skills and his role on the team continued to increase each season. After an amazing junior season, Balodis was voted by players and coaches as the defensive player of the year and was named an alternate captain for his senior year with the Dutchmen.

“It meant a lot that my teammates and coaches even considered me for the award,” Balodis said. “I played with a lot of great players during my time here who made my experience that much better. I will always remember playing at LVC and how much fun I had suiting up each night.”

Unfortunately, Balodis’ senior season was cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which effectively ended his competitive hockey career.

“It’s tough because obviously I wanted to finish my career the right way, battling with my teammates,” Balodis said. “It was a hard pill to swallow, but I’m still happy with the memories I made throughout my career.”

Now that his hockey career at LVC is complete, Balodis has turned his attention to graduate school and is currently applying to attend pharmacy school at Thomas Jefferson University, Lake Eerie College and Northeast Ohio Medical University. Balodis contemplated pursuing a brief professional hockey career but ultimately decided to fully commit to his dream of becoming a pharmacist.

“My college experience at LVC was everything I hoped it would be,” Balodis said. “I enjoyed meeting lifelong friends and developing both as a student and an athlete. I wouldn’t trade my experience here for anything, and I feel well prepared moving forward thanks to my time at LVC.”

Zach Balodis has been an exemplary student-athlete during his time at LVC and represented himself with an admirable level of integrity and respect. The devotion he showed on the ice and in the classroom was commendable and he will serve as a lasting example of what it means to be a Dutchman.