Pizza with Professionals and employer recruitment days are just some of the many events the Breen Center executes throughout the semester. These events usually entail one or two professionals talking about their career and the companies they work for. But one event the Breen Center offers, career fairs, are different. Imagine a whole arena filled with diverse employers eager to get to know you, your experience, and your career goals.

This semester, the Breen Center has held two career fairs: the Accounting, Actuarial Science, and Analytical Finance Fair and the Health Professions Fair. Between the two, 163 students attended to interact with 58 employers, handing out resumes and making great connections that could benefit their future and the company as well. While attending such fairs can be intimidating, students, employers, and college administration reflect on why taking the jump can build confidence and open doors to many opportunities down the road.

Actuarial Science major Zachary Snider ’23, said he was a bit nervous attending the Accounting, Actuarial Science, and Analytical Finance fair, but adds how helpful it was in getting to know companies and employers.

“I was a little nervous but definitely very excited because I just want to learn about all these companies and try to get an opportunity to land a job… the event is for sure helpful. I’ve talked to a lot of companies and got my foot in the door. I’d definitely say to come. There’s no harm in coming; only positive things can happen.”

Clinical Mental Health and Counseling student Abby Jordan ’24 attended the Health Professions Fair to gain more knowledge about internships and future careers.

“I looked up some of the companies I wanted to talk to and wrote some quick notes, and then I also practiced what I would say and introductions… even just hearing about potential future opportunities whether it be through internships or jobs eventually after graduation just getting that information from various settings was really nice.”

While these fairs aim to support students in career development, they play an essential role for employers as well. Brittany Ponessa from TW Ponessa and Associates talks about how important career fairs are to her company.

“These fairs are extremely helpful. Given the pandemic over the last two years, virtual recruiting is definitely a challenge, and our preference is to meet with students in person, so to be able to do this is fantastic.”

RKL Wealth Management employees Ruchi Amin and LVC alumni Maggie Root ’21 also gave invaluable advice to students attending career fairs.

“Stay persistent, make connections, networking is supercritical… we’ve seen a ton of first-year students today, and we’re very impressed, just put yourself out there.”

Throughout your time at LVC, you will hear professors and advisors encouraging you to attend Breen Center events. At the time, you might have another event to go to, practice, or just not be interested. But if there is only one event that you attend, make it a career fair. If you’re still not convinced, hear from Dr. James M. MacLaren, 19th president of Lebanon Valley College.

“I’m impressed with the turnout of our students as well. I think it’s always really good if first-year students come out even when careers may not be on the top mindset. It’s very good for them to start making those connections and learn what the opportunities are so that when they do come back, they have built some of that network.”

Look for future career fair events on Handshake, or visit https://www.lvc.edu/our-graduates/breen-center/ for more information.