Editorial Piece: Taking a gap year in a pandemic?

Source: Unsplash by Z

My Ho’22, Staff writer 

I took a gap year during the pandemic. Yes, that may sound like a terrible plan because a gap year embodies the freedom and traveling spirits while the pandemic echoes the opposite, isolation, captivity, and stagnancy.  And yes, that applied to me. I did not travel anywhere besides my house, the supermarket, café shops when the restriction ban was lifted occasionally, and the lonely streets of Hanoi (born and raised). Nevertheless, my gap year was still filled with growth and exploration beyond any expectations. So, what did I really learn apart from the four corners of my room? 

1. Maintaining stability in time of turbulence – even if it’s taking baby step 

My vision for the gap year was filled with traveling plans, reading checklist and social projects – bright, promising and all feasible – until a complete city-wide lockdown shut down everything. Surrounded by walls 24/7, I started to disregard my health and my normal habits. Both my physical and mental health was dwindling the first few weeks in lockdown which led to a lack of any kinds of motivation. This made me realize that under all kinds of circumstances, it’s important to maintain habits that prioritize well-being especially in times of uncertainty. Getting yourself up to accomplish the small tasks first can really make a big difference. For example, spending time with my dog the moment I wake up gives me the joy and motivation to be energied through the long days in isolation.

2.  The wonder of the Internet  

My first concern was how I could establish connections and gained new experiences when meeting people was literally prohibited. But with the Internet, socializing was still very much open and simple. I spent a large amount of time polishing my Linkedin profile, reaching out to recruiters and maintainig my current networks with friends who shared similar interests on Facebook and Instagram. These media platforms ventures filled with surpises and was very much like the exploration of the ‘real’ world. By keeping an online presence, I was able to tackle multiple opportunities and explored different positions by just staying in my own room. The world wide web can offer so much to diversify your gap year experience and it’s always in the grab of your hand. By utilizing everything you have, you’re being resilient – the magic key word for recruiter. 

This has been my own personal experience taking a gap year in 2021 – the darkest but also the brightest of my life. I have survivied it and now living through 2022 with more expectations of the future from what I have learned in my gap year so I strongly recommend the hesitating ones to dive into this unknown realm and see the world with a new lens. The pandemic can limit your traveling ability but cannot restrict your imagination and the desire to stay curious.