LVC appoints first female chaplain

By Josh Hildebrand ’22, staff writer 

LVC history was made early last month as it announced the appointment of its first female chaplain, Andrea Haldeman. 

Haldeman began her career at LVC in Jan. 2020 in the Advancement Office as the stewardship and events coordinator. During her time there, she had a variety of roles. She helped support raising funds for the college and worked on the Attitude of Gratitude project, giving students an opportunity to thank their scholarship donors. Haldeman found her role fulfilling but sought to utilize her skills in a different way. 

“I felt called to pursue [the chaplain position] serving students,” Haldeman said. “My gifts and graces are better suited for this role.” 

Long before finding herself employed at LVC, Haldeman was aware of its reputation. Due to financial concerns, she was unable to attend. Instead, she obtained an associate’s degree in Travel and Tourism from Harrisburg Area Community College. Shortly thereafter, she began working at Messiah College and took a few additional courses. 

“I felt called to pursue ministry,” Haldeman said. “I hold a Master of Divinity degree with a concentration in Marriage and Family Counseling from Evangelical Theological Seminary in Myerstown and have been a pastor since my first appointment in Berks County in 2008.” 

Facilitating dialogue regarding aspects of spiritual growth, diversity, equity, inclusion and justice are key principles Haldeman plans to bring to the forefront as chaplain. She relishes the prospect of meeting LVC students to learn how best The Office of Spiritual Life can support and encourage them. 

“It’s exhilarating to me,” Haldeman said. “I look forward to being chaplain and coordinator of spiritual life as we continue to face the opportunities and challenges ahead.” 

On Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., students can find Haldeman in her office on the main level of Miller Chapel for office hours. She encourages students to stop by to say hi, introduce themself, ask questions or even to pray. She can also be reached via email at haldeman@lvc.edu.