Dream chasing

By Keegan Corwell ’21 staff writer 

During the 2019 MAC football season, LVC running back Hunter Wilson posted historic numbers, establishing himself as an all-conference player and earning him various awards across the NCAA Division III organization.  

These accomplishments did not go unnoticed by multiple coaches and recruiting coordinators from various professional leagues and teams. However, as Wilson headed into the end of his senior year, his life would change drastically. 

“I can still remember how excited I was leaving the coach’s office after I received my first combine invite,” Wilson said. “I could hardly sleep that night just imagining my dream of playing professional football coming true.” 

Wilson had landed himself three professional pro days where he would be able to showcase his talents in front of coaches across the country for the opportunity to play for a professional team. Unfortunately, one month before Wilson was supposed to debut his first combine, COVID-19 struck and the event was cancelled; Wilson’s opportunity to leap to the professional side of football vanished.  

“I was absolutely devastated,” Wilson said. “I had been training so hard every day trying to make sure that I did everything possible to make my dreams come true, and to have them taken away like that was heartbreaking.”  

Wilson graduated last spring and started working; however, he did not give up his dream of playing in the pros. Wilson hired an experienced agent and acquired a sports-specific trainer who helped others like Wilson reach their peak athletic ability before tryouts and combines. After months of tedious hard work, Wilson finally got a call from his agent.  

“I remember feeling the same excitement that I had felt that day leaving the sports center,” Wilson said. “My agent had submitted my physical testing numbers to a few coaches and organizations, and I got another invite to a professional combine.” 

In March of this year, Wilson traveled to Houston, Texas, to attend his professional combine and compete against current and former NFL, CFL and NCAA athletes. 

“It was one of the most exciting and unforgettable moments of my life to be surrounded by these guys and knew that I had made it this far was a humbling and surreal feeling,” Wilson said.  

Wilson is awaiting his official testing numbers and a phone call from a professional organization. Regardless, Wilson continues to be resilient and embodies the lesson that no matter what life throws at him, he’s continue to pursue what he loves — football.