Senior English major starts new chapter

By Alexandra Gonzalez ’23, staff writer 

Claire Benesch, a senior English major, is looking forward to graduating and starting a new chapter. However, the unknown that comes with turning a page can be intimidating, especially amid a global pandemic.  

Benesch has enjoyed her time at LVC from the English courses to the interdisciplinary studies.  

She helped man booths for Freedom Rings. According to Freedom Rings’ Facebook page, it is “a club at LVC that provides a safe and educational environment for LGBTQ+ and allied students.”  

Benesch also assisted with painting sets for Wig & Buckle, the student-run theater company on the campus of LVC. Wig & Buckle is the oldest LVC student organization. 

When asked what she will miss the most about being a student at LVC, Benesch said, “I will miss the sense of community. I am going to miss lively class discussions, and I am going to miss the English department Christmas parties and all the extra things that made my years at LVC spectacular.” 

COVID-19 has marked the end of Benesch’s college career. Benesch has been attending classes remotely for her senior year. While Benesch is missing out on a typical senior year and the classroom experience, she feels the health and safety of her family and community during an extended public health crisis was well worth the sacrifice.  

“As for job searching, the pandemic has changed the way I think about my future career,” Benesch said. “What jobs can provide during an extreme crisis? What jobs are not only recession-proof but also pandemic- and natural disaster-proof? Unfortunately, these questions are no longer extra precautions but completely necessary considerations.”  

Benesch plans to take a gap year after graduation. During this time, she will work and study for the GREs in preparation for a master’s program.  

“I am incredibly appreciative of the time I spent at LVC,” Benesch said. “Having a liberal arts education allowed me to pursue my interests and learn many different academic disciplines that will only continue to serve me in life. At the very least, I will be able to hold my own in most conversations.”