Sophomore diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma

Photo provided by Abbie Keath.

By Hannah Shirey ’23, staff writer

No one ever imagines being diagnosed with cancer.

Until March, Abbie Keath, a sophomore biology major, thought just like everyone else. Then, she was unpredictably diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

Earlier this year, Keath was very sick. Her symptoms weren’t anything too alarming, so—given today’s circumstances—she and her family assumed she had COVID-19. However, the multiple COVID-19 tests she took came back negative.

Keath and her family were confused. She didn’t have COVID-19, mono or the flu. It wasn’t until a few days later that Keath’s doctors told her the most unexpected news of her life: “You have cancer.”

Hodgkin’s Lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system, which is part of your immune system.

“I was really shocked and didn’t know how to react,” Keath said. “This is the kind of stuff you see in the movies, so you never think it can happen to you until it does.”

After her diagnosis, she began chemotherapy almost immediately. She receives her treatment once every other week, and it typically takes about three hours.

“I have already finished three treatments, and I have nine more to go,” Keath said. “If everything goes as planned, my last treatment should be in August, assuming all of the cancer is gone when August rolls around.”

Because Keath’s immune system is very weak due to both the chemotherapy and the cancer itself, she must be extra careful regarding her exposure to COVID-19 or any other illnesses.

Although being diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma has been difficult for Keath, she has been finding ways to cope with her diagnosis. She often finds herself using humor, which describes her personality perfectly.

In addition, Keath made an Instagram page (@abbieschemochronicles) to easily keep her friends and family updated on her journey. In just a few weeks, the Instagram account already has over 1,000 followers.

“I’m not really sure what I expected of it [the Instagram account], but I’m really happy so many people want to follow along and support me,” Keath said. “Getting comments and messages from friends, family and even people I’ve never talked to before is so encouraging to me.”

Supporters of Keath were able to buy purple t-shirts with her Instagram handle and a ribbon on them. Keath and her sister created the t-shirts as a fun way for people to show Keath their support. To Keath’s surprise, they sold over 300 t-shirts.

Despite all the support she has received, having Hodgkin’s Lymphoma has still been very challenging for Keath. She says her two biggest challenges have been not being able to live on campus this semester and losing her hair.

“I haven’t had to shave my hair off yet, but it’s definitely falling out and making a mess in my house,” Keath said. “I know it’s soon time, but I’m really anxious about it.”

Keath has been doing everything she can to stay positive regardless of her diagnosis.

“When I’m finally in remission, I have a whole list of things I want to do that I’m either not able to do right now or am limited on my abilities to do right now,” Keath said.

Some of the things she looks forward to are hanging out with her friends indoors, going on a trip, going camping and growing her hair out and donating it.

Anyone interested in following Keath’s journey with cancer can follow @abbieschemochronicles on Instagram.