Virtual learning continues for some students and professors

By Hannah Shirey ’23, Staff Writer 

Most LVC students returned to campus and began in-person learning again on Feb. 15, while others decided to take fully virtual classes for the remainder of the semester. 

With the end of the coronavirus pandemic still unknown, the College decided to shift this semester’s start date to Feb. 1, and the start of in-person classes to Feb. 15. Classes were entirely remote for the first two weeks of the semester. 

“The professors have done a great job adapting to remote learning,” Emily Glass, a sophomore elementary education major, said. “They have grown comfortable operating Zoom and making accommodations for those students who are learning virtually.” 

Glass chose to go fully remote this semester for several reasons. Aside from obvious concerns regarding the coronavirus pandemic, Glass also figured she could take advantage of opportunities she has while learning from home. 

“I recently got a job at a school district as a substitute paraprofessional, so by living at home this semester, I am able to gain experience in my field and build relationships that will hopefully help me in getting a permanent teaching position post-graduation,” Glass said. 

Although in-person learning began on Feb. 15, not all classes will be entirely in-person. 

Classroom configurations and class sizes, schedules and locations must allow for physical distancing in class; this means that some classes will be required to take a hybrid approach to learning. A hybrid class combines both in-person and online learning. 

Like students, some professors have chosen to teach virtually this semester. Jaime Fettrow-Alderfer, assistant professor of English, decided to go virtual because of health concerns in her household. 

“My preference, of course, would be to be in-person,” Fettrow-Alderfer said. “But right now, it makes most sense for me to be remote.” 

It can be hard to find the positives in remote learning during this unique time. Some aspects of learning remain the same, but without face-to-face interaction, online learning can serve as a challenge. 

“At first, I was completely against online classes,” Glass said. “I think it is harder to learn content virtually, but it has taught me that I need to take responsibility for my own learning.” 

Students and professors have become more accepting of the change after nearly a year of at least some form of online learning. 

“It’s hard not to have that face-to-face laugh or the impromptu conversation that only occurs in a classroom,” Fettrow-Alderfer said. “But an advantage is I’m available so much more to talk to students via phone, text or video.” 

Members of the LVC community hope to return to some sense of normalcy in the fall. Until then, Zoom classes, hybrid learning and social distancing will have to suffice.