Volleyball sets up for upcoming season

Jensen Burnheimer ’21, staff writer

Volleyball sets up for the upcoming season 

As LVC’s sophomores and juniors return to campus, student-athletes are finally able to start up their seasons.  

Due to the pandemic, fall and winter sports were moved to the spring semester. Meanwhile, teams are allowed to practice, provided they take proper precautions of course. Kaitlyn Reed, a senior political science major, played for LVC’s women’s volleyball team all four years of her collegiate career. She has played a variety of different positions throughout her years here, but she primarily plays as the team’s libero or defensive specialist.  

As the women’s volleyball team returns to the court, the players are noticing a few differences from last year’s season. The most common precaution almost all are taking is wearing a mask. While wearing a mask throughout the day and during classes was an adjustment, athletes are also required to wear them. 

“I feel rather indifferent about wearing mask as I understand it’s for the best that we wear them, but it is an adjustment to have to wear them during difficult drills that require a lot of movement and energy,” Reed said. 

Not only are the practices different because of the mask requirement, but there are also rules in place to ensure social distancing is still being practiced to the best of their ability. 

“Practices are definitely a lot different this year,” Reed said. “We are not allowed to play 6 on 6 yet, so we are primarily doing drills. It is a lot slower paced than previous years, but it should be a good transitional period then for the freshmen.” 

As a sport that would typically be held in the fall, the volleyball team members are adjusting to the changes in their schedules. 

“I definitely wish my season was in the fall as a senior, but I am grateful we will be able to compete this year in the spring so I will get to have my last season,” Reed said. 

While student-athletes are adjusting to different schedules, wearing masks and changes in practices, there is a silver lining–they still have hope for a normal season.