Putting the spotlight on the VALE artist

Photo provided by Aimee Bealer

By: Aly Richards ‘22, Staff Writer 

A LVC musician offers a glimpse into his experiences as the College’s VALE artist.

VALE Records is a student-run, student-lead record label at LVC. Every year the organization picks a singer-songwriter to sign them to a year-long contract. The student is known as the VALE artist. Over the years several solo artists and bands have been signed, such as Clovadine and Sam Machin. LVC’s current artist is Shawn Mathews.

Mathews, also known by his stage name Rushil, is a junior audio and music production major. He is an active member of several theater groups, including the College’s own Wig and Buckle Theater Company. During his time at LVC, he has performed in productions of “Little Shop of Horrors” and “Godspell.” He also has an interest in writing and performing his own music.  

“I got more into the production aspect of it [music] first before ever even thinking of putting my own vocals on a song,” Mathews said. “That’s kind of what inspired me to get into it, and I was like, this would be fun to do, just mixing and producing and all that. Eventually, I got the courage to put my own vocals on a song.”  

With the COVID-19 crisis, live concerts across the country have been postponed until further notice. Mathews is no stranger to this, expressing that this was one of the biggest surprises that were thrown his way during his time as the VALE artist.  

“After quarantine hit, I was low-key and went back to being just me in my bedroom again making music,” Mathews said. “So it’s kind of upsetting that I lost that ability to collaborate with other people.”  

Mathews emphasizes that the best thing aspiring musicians can do is write down whatever it is they are feeling, citing his own hesitations when he first started writing music. He also gives insight into his own writing process.

“You just gotta do what you enjoy listening to,” Mathews said. “Personally, when I write, even if I don’t come up with words, I’ll make a beat and freestyle melodies over that beat. Usually it starts with a chorus, and I’ll base the whole song off of that chorus section.”  

Mathews’ music, including his latest song, “Bored,” is available on all streaming services and available for purchase on the iTunes store.