Swimming drops tough contest on Senior Day

By Megan Finlan ’21, staff writer

The men’s and women’s swim teams fell to Hood College after battling in a tight meet on Senior Day.

The teams competed in their final home meet of the season on Feb. 1, where they honored their seniors as well as held their annual Pink Meet. The teams celebrated the careers of 11 seniors prior to the meet. Ultimately, the women were defeated by the Blazers with a final score of 138-91, while the men were just narrowly bested by a score of 102-88.

While the Blazers were too much for both teams to handle, each had members with standout performances. On the women’s side, Hannah Scheiry took first in the 50-meter free with a time of 31.01, while Natalie Bourne finished in a close second at 31.48. Erika Schell and Courtney Betsock also showed up big for the Dutchmen by taking first in the 100-meter free and 200-meter IM respectively.

“I’m thankful for all of my teammates, for the laughs they brought into my life and especially our amazing coach,” Katie Coulter, senior captain, said. “I’m proud to have been part of the LVC swim team.”

On the men’s side, Dain Vallie impressed with his performance on the day by taking first in the 200-meter free and 400-meter free with times of 2:12.45 and 4:49.64. Vallie was also a part of the winning 200-meter free relay along with Noah Miccio, Gabriel Dimisa and Kyle Kingsbury.

“The meet was fun and memorable because it was my last home meet and I got to celebrate with my fellow seniors and teammates,” Kurt Harnish, senior captain, said. “It’s bittersweet, but the team is excited and ready for MACs.”

Both teams will wrap up the season at the MAC championships from Feb. 13 through Feb. 16, at the Graham Aquatic Center in York, Pa.