Moving on up

By Keegan Corwell ’21 staff writer

If one happens to stop by the sports center or see the football team practicing, you may notice a few familiar faces.

However, two players from the 2019 Dutchmen football team have landed themselves new roles; instead of playing in 2020, they will be coaching.

This offseason, Brendan Yetter and Tyler Melhorn both accepted positions as intern coaches for the Flying Dutchmen. Yetter will take over coaching the strikers, a hybrid linebacker position, while Melhorn will undertake the job of coaching wide receivers, as well as assisting Coach Reever in the weight room.

When asked why the two accepted their roles, the two exclaimed their pride in the valley and how great an opportunity like this is to coach the upcoming team.
“I took this job because it is a great opportunity to learn and develop as a coach,” Melhorn said.

“Walking away from the game of football and a program like LVC was tough, and I knew my journey wasn’t over,” Yetter said. “I’m pumped about the opportunity to begin my coaching career here.”

With the addition of these two former standout players to the coaching staff, the football team hopes their knowledge of the game and bond with the team will help to spark a great offseason that will carry momentum heading into the 2020 season.