Angelini surges to success

By: Janessa Cruz ’19, Staff writer

While many people start their athletic careers early in life, one LVC student-athlete is finding her stride as a senior.

Erin Angelini, a fifth-year physical therapy major, is participating in her first year of cross country, and is currently running in the top six for the women’s team.

James O’Brien, cross country head coach, does not usually set specific of goals for new runners and believes that if every runner puts in the required work daily, results with come. Angelini has proven to do just that.

“So far, Erin is a natural distance runner,” O’Brien said. “More importantly, she gets it. Erin has been a wonderful addition to our program so far.”

Angelini has run a few half marathons before, but the 4K race at Misericordia was different.

“I was so surprised to even finish the race considering I felt like I was dying all the way through, but when I looked at the results, I was shocked to see that I did as well as I did,” Angelini said.

Angelini has always loved to run, but was committed to soccer for her four years of undergraduate study.

“Cross country is very different because it’s much more about the effort you put into the practice and making yourself better, than about winning games and scoring points during a soccer practice to earn playing time,” Angelini said.

Angelini admitted to battling negative thoughts while racing, but knows how to overcome doubt.

“I am not going to lie,” Angelini said. “Every single hill is a mental battle because realistically, I am voluntarily running and I can choose if I want to continue or not. Once I overcome the thought of quitting, I feel stronger and have more confidence in myself, and the runner’s high is real.”

Angelini is not sure if she will run track, but she has been approached by O’Brien about competing in the steeplechase event.

“That would be something new to add to my athletic resume,” Angelini said. “Coach O’Brien is also a very convincing person, so you may see me out there anyways.”

Angelini doesn’t shy away from new challenges; in fact, she appears to race toward them.