New meal exchange option

By: Shea Fisher ’19

Students now have more flexibility with their meal plans with the “Three for me!” program from Metz Culinary Management.

Using one meal, students may choose an item from three categories: entree, side and drink. Entrees include made-to-order subs, pizza and salad.

“Students have been coming down and have been liking it,” Landis Brown, a retail manager for Metz Culinary Management, said. “They also come in for some other things like candy and snacks to take with them as they go.”

The plan gives students an option if they are unable to make it to Mund Dining Hall.

“Football players and a lot of sports players come here after practice after the dining hall has closed down,” Brown said.

Last year, there was a similar exchange plan offered at both the Dutchmen Den and InterMetzo located inside the Clyde A. Lynch Memorial Hall. In this plan, students could purchase items up to $6.

“I like the fact that I can get a pizza, bag of chips and drink because last year at InterMetzo when I got the same exact pizza, I could only get the pizza,” Rachel Foster, a junior actuarial science major, said.

The $6 limit caused some frustration as some students felt it wasn’t an equal exchange as far as how much was charged per meal at the dining hall.

So far, students like the new meal times offered with the “Three for me!” program. However, there are disadvantages.

“A con would be the fact that they took away the meal exchange at InterMezto, because I used to get a smoothie or coffee at breakfast,” Foster said.

Currently, there is no meal exchange time in the morning. Students must go to the dining hall or use flex dollars. Students may also visit Bishop Brews, located inside the Vernon and Doris Bishop Library, for coffee, tea, fresh juices and snacks throughout the day.

Photo by: Shea Fisher

Caption: Students now have the option to participate in the “Three for me!” meal exchange program at the Dutchmen Den.